The West Valley Youth Orchestra will host a Chamber Music Summer Camp with Quartet Sabaku for students ages 10 - 20 from June 21 to June 25, 2021. (Students younger than 10 will need special permission to attend.) The location is St. Peter’s Episcopal Church, 400 S. Litchfield Rd, Litchfield Park, 85340.
The camp runs from 9:00 am to 3:00 pm each day. The members of the professional string quartet Quartet Sabaku will coach the students.
There will be a public performance on Friday, June 25 at 5:00 pm, location is Christ Evangelical Lutheran Church, 918 S. Litchfield Rd, Goodyear. This concert will showcase the camp ensembles, orchestra, and Quartet Sabaku. Tickets are $5 and can be purchased online click here or at the door. Children under 10 are free.
Students will need to bring a music stand, pencil, metronome/tuner and a sack lunch each day. Call Claire Gordon at 602-826-9453 for additional information.
Audition Requirements for Chamber Music Camp
- Major and Minor scales: 2 or 3 octaves up to 3 sharps and 3 flats with accurate intonation
- Prepared solo: Student's choice, two minutes long (the equivalent of Suzuki Book 2 level, or above)
- Sight reading: Short orchestral excerpt.
- There will be a short theory assessment at the audition
- Registration Deadline: May 26, 2021 ($25 discount if registration is paid in full by May 10). No refund after May 30, 2021.
- Audition Date: Saturday June 5, 2021, 9am-11am, at St. Peter’s Episcopal Church, 400 S. Litchfield Rd, Litchfield Park, 85340
- Camp Dates: June 21- 25, 2021
- Final Concert: June 25 at 5:00pm
Quartet Sabaku is a group of professional musicians whose energetic and lively style have delighted school and community audiences across Arizona and in Sinaloa, Mexico. Members of the Quartet have extensive background in traditional string pedagogy and Suzuki teaching. Quartet Sabaku has been on the Artists Roster of the Arizona Commission on the Arts since 1997. Quartet members coaching this year are Cindy Baker, violin; Hisami Iijima Dillard, violin; Fred Chao, cello; Katie Black-Shields, viola. Claire Gordon, Camp Director, is also pictured.
A limited number of partial scholarships are available based on financial need or merit. Late registration may be accepted on a space available basis. No refunds after May 30, 2021.
Please register online, or choose the paper registration form from Downloads to the right and mail in your payment to the address on the form.
Online Registration is a 2-step process.
- Fill out the Camp Application Form
- Pay applicable fees